I am a new wife experiencing the many wonders and tribulations of marriage. In my quest to savor every moment, no matter how small and seemingly unimportant, I started this blog. My husband is the inspiration and it is here where I will chronicle our life together, depicting the hysterical, loving and eye-rolling events along the way.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sweet Innocence

I know it's been quite a while since my last post, and for that I have a few reasons.  Of which, work has kept me extremely busy this year, including trying constantly to find a full time teaching position as well as trying to expand my credential which means taking a really annoying and time consuming English course.  Probably the most time consuming and exhausting reason is that I am pregnant.  Yes, me, the lady that devoted an entire post to how I do not want a baby is pregnant.  And I want the baby.  And it wasn't an accident.  And we are having a boy due May 7 (which means I am 7 months pregnant and counting down).  It's a really exciting time, filled with 5+ months of morning sickness, lots of weight gain and jabs in the middle of the night resonating from within my belly. 

Turns out, there is a lot that comes with being pregnant.  Take for instance the amount of doctors visits a woman must attend, and the number of times she must go get blood drawn for one test or another.  I have been to the lab to get no more than 6 blood samples and various other testing, like glucose and thyroid testing.  Not to be outdone by the amount of pricks my arm has endured, since I found out I was pregnant, I have had to go to the doctors every 4 weeks.  And recently my doctor informed me that since I am now 7 months they want to monitor my progression more closely and I must come in every 2 weeks.  That is a lot of time spent in the doctor's office, not to mention a lot of co-pays.  And I almost forgot the ultrasounds.  Although there were only 3 of these, and I actually wish there were more ordered so I could see my lil guy.

Not only have I spent my time at my obgyn's office, I have spent time looking up baby articles and reading baby magazines and of course reading "What to Expect When You Are Expecting"  My world has flipped upside down  and now revolves around my unborn son and everything I need to do to prepare for his birth.  I have registered, researched pediatricians and talked to every mom I encounter about what to expect during labor.

As my belly has grown and my sickness has subsided, I get many questions from other moms about how baby is progressing and even more questions from my students.  Just the other day, a class of Kindergartners were ery excited that I was growing a baby in my belly and had question after question.  Their cute little faces and curious eyes peered up at me while I confirmed. "Yes, I am growing a baby in my tummy."

Them: "Are you growing a baby boy or girl?"

Me: "I'm going to have a baby boy/"

Them: "What is his name?"

Me: "We are going to name him Liam."

Then, one knowledgeable little girl announces "Yea, and her baby is gonna come out her vagina!"

I blankly stare at the kids as a little boy quickly asks: "What's a china?"

All I wanted to do was laugh, but instead I replied "All right, we are going to read this story about the tooth fairy!"

The one thing I have learned working with such young children is they will tell you how it is and they aren't shy about it.  Oh, the joys of children.  I can't wait to hear what my son will say to his teachers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment