I am a new wife experiencing the many wonders and tribulations of marriage. In my quest to savor every moment, no matter how small and seemingly unimportant, I started this blog. My husband is the inspiration and it is here where I will chronicle our life together, depicting the hysterical, loving and eye-rolling events along the way.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Table for Two

The husband and I don't go out to eat very often. For a few reasons: 1. We like cooking together 2. Cooking at home saves money 3. We have a hard time deciding where to go 4. It seems to be hard to choose a healthy dish to eat when dining out (and the husband and I like to eat healthy) So, since we don't go out too often, it makes it fun and more exciting when we do decide to dine out. Funny things happen to us when we eat out, though. Funny things that make eating at certain places more memorable and bring a smile to my face when I think about it.

It is always a bit of a task trying to decide where to go to eat. We usually start by checking our gift cards to see where we can go eat for free (because really, who doesn't love a free meal?). If we find a gift card yo a restaurant that sounds appetizing, we then have to think about where it is located in realtion to the new home. (Because living here for a year does not mean that I remember where anything is besides the grocery stores.) Then we have to decide upon a time that we want to go. And really, even reading back over this it sounds ridiculous. As you can tell, we aren't a "fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants" couple. We like to plan and then execute.

A couple years ago, we got a gift card to Chili's. And a special occassion came up and we decided to go out to eat. It was a weekday and we went for an early dinner, so the place was on the empty side. Which doesn't bother me at all. That just means we get extra attention. The host was a guy, probably between 17 and 20. He was very nice and friendly.

Host - How many?
Husband - Two.
Host - Okay, right this way.
Husband - Thank you.
Host - So how are you guys today?
Husband - Good thank you.
Host - How is the weather outside? Nice?
Husband - Yes, actually not too hot but warm.
Host - Great. Here's your table and your waiter will be right with you.

He hands us our menus and walks away so we can get an idea of what we might want to order. We busied ourselves with trying to decide what to eat when our waiter came up.

Waiter - Hi, my name is John, I'll be your waiter for today.

At the sound of his voice, the husband and I looked up. And we were completely confused. The waiter looked like he was between 17 and 20, very nice and friendly. He was acting like he had never seen us before, but he looked so familiar.

Husband - Aren't you... the. same.... Aren't you the same guy who just... seated us?
Waiter - Yea. It was a joke.
Husband - Oh.

At this point, I completely lost it. I had to look away or I would have burst out loud laughing hysterically. I felt bad because this poor guy was completely embarrassed. I'm sure was bored and was just trying to spice up his work time by having a little fun. But it was entirely weird. And so funny. The husband and I still think back on this experience and still laugh about it. I don't know how we do it, but we always seem to attract the crazies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment