I am a new wife experiencing the many wonders and tribulations of marriage. In my quest to savor every moment, no matter how small and seemingly unimportant, I started this blog. My husband is the inspiration and it is here where I will chronicle our life together, depicting the hysterical, loving and eye-rolling events along the way.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You know those pregnancy hormones they talk about?...

They're real.  Really real.  But I didn't notice it at first.  I soared through my first trimester and most of my second thinking that I was totally in control of my emotions.  Those women who talk about being crabby and moody and mopey?  Nope, not real.  Definitely not real for me, at least.  I thought of myself as being one of the lucky few who did not experience this hormonal side effect of pregnancy.  After all, I felt like I deserved some sort of consolation.

I've experienced most of the symptoms that are pregnancy.  Like being nauseous.  Very nauseous. And those women and books who told me "Just wait 'til you hit 12 weeks.  After 12 weeks you'll be fine.  You won't be sick anymore and you'll feel great!"  Liars.  All of them liars. Because at 12 weeks I was still sick.  And at 16 weeks?  Still sick.  And at 20 weeks?  Yup, still sick.  My kid must hate me already.  Finally, the sickness subsided, mostly, around 24 weeks.  But like I said, I felt deserving of not having raging hormones after all that being sick I had to put up with.

But apparently I was wrong.  It all started innocently enough.  The husband and I subscribe to netflix, so we get movies a few times a week.  One of the movies we received was Hachi: A Dog's Tale.  Let me back up a bit.  Those who know me know that I am, in general, a typical woman.  Meaning that I cry.  I cry when I am upset, when I am frustrated, when I laugh and when I am angry.  I especially cry during sad movies.  I hate those movies that get me all teary, yet those suddenly become all-time favorites of mine and when I see them on tv I have to watch them.  Like I Am Sam.  That stupid movie gets me every time.  And I hate it so much that when I see it listed on my guide, I have to watch it and cry my eyes out like I've never seen it before.

Anyway, this movie, Hachi came in the mail.  Have you ever heard of this movie?  It is described on IMDb as being "A drama based on the true story of a college professor's bond with the abandoned dog he takes into his home."  Sounds sweet, right?  Yes.  Keep telling yourself that.  And now is the point at which I am going to ruin the movie for those who have not seen it.  You have been warned.

The movie starts when Richard Gere finds a lost puppy at the train station.  He ends up keeping this puppy and loves this puppy as much as his kids.  Maybe more, since he spends more time with the dog.  This dog ends up being a smarty pants.  He walks Gere to the train station every morning, walks home by himself, then meets him back at the train station at the same time every day right as Richard Gere is getting off the train.

Then one day, Hachi doesn't want to go with Gere to the train station.  In fact, he tries to get Gere not to go to work that day.  He tries not going with him to the train station.  When that doesn't work, he runs after him and tries to get him to stay off the train by playing catch (a game, by the way, that Gere could never get Hachi to play).  Gere doesn't understand and gets on the train anyway.

At this point in time, I am starting to get misty eyed.  I know something bad is about to happen.  Can't Gere see that Hachi is warning him!?!  I was actually semi-shouting at the tv screen "Don't go!  The train is going to crash and you're going to die if you get on it!  Don't do it!  Ugh, you are so stupid Gere!  Men don't listen to anything!"  (I was quite invested in the movie at this time.)

Turns out I was right.  Kind of.  Gere didn't die in a train crash, but he did have a heart attack at work and died that way.  Just as good.  Either way, Hachi was warning him and Gere didn't listen.  I start to softly cry as it unfolds that Gere is dead.  But the kicker is yet to come.  Back at home, Hachi hears the whistle of the train and starts off to meet his best bud.  But Gere never gets off the train.  And Hachi just sits there and sits there.  For hours this dog is just sitting at the train station in the snow, waiting for his best friend.

And then I lost it.  I started sobbing.  And I am talking full on sobs of anguish, tears pouring down my face, snot gushing out of my nose.  No matter what else I thought of I couldn't get the picture of that dog just sitting there out of my mind.  As I sit on the couch sobbing loudly the husband is staring at me in disbelief.  He did not know what to do.  I, in the meantime, am saying to him in between sobs "Turn (sob) it (sob) off!  I can't (sob) watch (sob) this (sob) anymore!!!"  That's when the husband starts laughing.  Almost as uncontrollably as I am sobbing he is laughing at me asking "What is wrong with you?!"  Then I realize how ridiculous it is that I am crying so hard over a stupid movie that I start laughing too.  But then I remember the movie and I start sobbing again.  I was simultaneously laughing and sobbing while still begging the husband to "Turn it off!"  I could not stop sobbing or laughing.  I had no way of controlling myself, no matter how ridiculous I knew it was.

Eventually I left the room, blew my nose and collected myself.  And because the husband thinks he is hilarious, when I walked back in the movie was still playing.  This time I demanded that he turn it off and confirmed that there was no way I was watching it.  We mailed it back the next day.  I have no idea how it ends, but there is no way I will ever watch that movie. Not ever.  My kid is seriously messing with me.  Or, as my husband says, he is "Team Daddy".

0 comments:

Post a Comment